Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Trip 10: Charlotte, North Carolina

Charlotte's event was the morning after we arrived late into town because I had to stop to see a doctor in Virginia.  Basically, I didn't drink enough water in New York and that caused some problems!  I was put on light duty for four days, which luckily only translated to the Charlotte event and some driving days, but it meant that I couldn't lift more than 15 pounds and wasn't allowed to drive because of my medication.  So I took the Charlotte event fairly easy - I ran the scoreboard instead of running around out in the heat.

Still, the event went well, and my coworkers were all really understanding.  After a while, they got tired of me apologizing and told me all the stories of what else had happened on these trips in years past, and proved that me finding a doctor was small change compared to some of their stories!

After the event, we actually had enough time to stay in Charlotte and recharge.  Every so often, we need to stay still for 34 hours to reset our driving hours, and Charlotte wound up being the place to do it for this time around.  We didn't do too much - I walked to the Staples nearby to pick up a converter for my iPod to listen to it in the car, and D, L and I went to a restaurant called Upscale for some of the best food we've had all tour.  L had been raving about this place from last year, and it did in fact live up to expectations.  I tried fried okra, which was really pretty good (though weird)!  Other than that, it was just a day to relax.  I did some laundry, wrote some letters, and in general took things easy!

The next day, our hours reset, we started the long drive up to Indianapolis, Indiana.  I still wasn't allowed to drive (everyone was calling my medication my "happy pills"... apparently my first few hours on them were fairly entertaining for L on the drive into Charlotte), so I acted as passenger and navigator again.  I was a bit bummed, though - not how I wanted to spend Matt's birthday, hundreds of miles away from him!

Most importantly, though, on the way into Indianapolis I bought water guns.  These would prove important later, oh yes...

-Beth

(Sorry no pictures... my camera batteries both died early in July, and my cell phone pictures didn't always turn out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment