Sunday, December 18, 2011

Trip 14: Omaha, Nebraska

We left Minnesota on July 27, and thus ended our nice midsummer rest period.  From there, it was on to our next event in Omaha, Nebraska - but to get there we had to drive straight through Iowa.  Not to be unkind to Iowa, but it was not our most exciting trip ever!

L made me drive after a while, as he was really sick of seeing corn!  He napped, and every time he napped he would wake up, see more corn, be unhappy about not being out of it yet, and go back to sleep.

I thought I had some pictures, but searching my files, it looks like not.  Sorry!

Still, as drives go, it wasn't bad at all.  We reached Nebraska about two hours later than planned due to all our detours, checked into our hotel, and lazed about for the rest of the night in recovery.  Our hotel was right across the street from where the event would be, which was really nice - we were able to run all our errands the next day, do some minor vehicle cleaning and repairs, and still have enough time to explore the city and do some shopping (I was on the lookout for Underarmor shirts based off D's recommendations, and found two in Omaha - I was not disappointed!).

The free day before the event also gave the city time to recover from the huge storm that had rolled in the night before - there were lots of trees down and a few power outages.  It gave us a bit of a relief from the heat and humidity... and all the bugs!  There were lots, and I bought a bug-off clip for my belt at a sports store.  It worked fairly well and I was impressed by it!

It was another early morning media event (3:30am out of the hotel!), but the event went great and thanks to my new bug-off clip, I remained bug-bite free.  Hurrah!  For once I wasn't eaten alive!  R, D, L and I celebrated a successful day by meeting up at Red Lobster for dinner, which was great fun.  Lots of stories, laughter, and biscuits.  I tried lobster for the first time ever and discovered that it is quite tasty... though of course I'm sure the butter helped!

The next day saw the beginning of our two-day drive to Memphis, Tennessee...

-Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment